Instructor: Rob Kozak
Faculty of Forestry, University of British Columbia
Room 2716 – 2424 Main Mall (Dean’s Office), Forest Sciences Centre
Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me at any time:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: (604) 822-2402
Please take a few moments to familiarize yourself with the course website. Make sure that you check in once in a while – important announcements for this course will be listed below.
To read the materials on this website, you need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader, available HERE. The number of pages printed per sheet can be controlled in “Print, Properties”.
- We will attempt to migrate this site to the Canvas learning platform in the coming months. For now, please consider this the course website, and check in here for any course announcements.
- Classes will begin on Wednesday, September 6, 2017. There will be no labs held during the first week of classes.
- Questions about course conflicts, full labs, or registration should be directed to Forestry Student Services.
- Course textbooks (by Kozak, Kozak, Staudhammer, and Watts) are required and some new and used copies are now available at the UBC Bookstore. There may be a shortage of texts for the first few weeks, so some readings may be posted on the website. Do NOT purchase the FRST 231 Custom Course Materials – these are for Distance Education students.
- All of the overheads used in this class can be downloaded from the Lectures page. If you are having trouble downloading the class notes, try the second “Alternative Link” on the Lectures page, which is larger but should support any platform.
- Note that a suggested due date and suggested (practice) questions will be given for each reading (on the Readings page). As well, solutions to all problems in the textbook (odd and even numbered) will be provided on the Readings page once each chapter is completed in class. Please try your best to keep up with the readings and do as many exercises from the book as possible.
- Labs begin the second week of classes (week of September 11). Please make sure that you are registered for one of the lab sessions (L01, L02, L03) in FRST 231. There will be some opportunity to move labs once the course has started. Note that lab locations may change depending on the number of students enrolled in each. Some labs are currently located in two classrooms – please show up to the first classroom listed for the first week.
- Please make sure that you have a statistical calculator for the labs beginning the week of September 11. Graphing calculators will work as well, but are not required.
- We are beginning Component #1 (Introduction) on Friday, September 8.
- We are beginning Component #2 (Probability, part 1 of 2) on Monday, September 18.
- Note that all office hours have now been set and that Letitia and Hyeyoung have switched their office hours – please consult the TA Contacts page.
- We are beginning Component #3 (Probability, part 2 of 2) on Monday, September 25.
- The midterm exam date has now been set – Friday, November 3 in class.
- The midterm will cover materials up until the end of Chapter 5.
- Two practice midterms have now been uploaded to the Exams page. Please see instructor / TAs for solutions.
- Labs #1 through #4 (questions 1 – 14) are due in class on Wednesday, October 11.
- We are beginning Component #4 (Statistical Inference, part 1 of 4) on Wednesday, October 11.
- Try your hand at the Central Limit Theorem by clicking HERE.
- There will be two sittings of the FRST 231 final exam. The official sitting will be on December 19 at 8:30 am (location TBA). An alternative (early) sitting will be held on December 8 at 8:30 am (location TBA). If you wish to take the early exam (December 8), you will need to inform me – in writing – by Friday, November 10.